06/07/2012

Session #65: All Alone

This month's Session is hosted by Nate at Booze, Beats and Bites and asks to post about drinking alone and if so why. Nate's pretty much covered the various reasons why one might drink alone in his introductory post and I heartily concur.

My current situation sees me drinking alone frequently, not necessarily through choice but because there is noone here to share the beers with, nor do the local boozers have anything to draw me out of the house.

But even before I lived here I enjoyed going to pubs by myself. I enjoy sitting down with a book and a pint of beer without having to think about being sociable. If I want to be sociable there are people in the pub to share with in any case. A lot of my friends have been met through going to the pub by myself and chatting to the locals.

No pressure to drink in rounds or finish up to move on to another pub, you can go at your own pace. If you fancy some food you don't have to wait for others to finish up.

The one proviso to drinking alone is you shouldn't do it when already in a bad mood as the beer will probably just make you feel worse. Its these occasions you need a friend to cheer you up.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post, Steve.

    Sound advice at the end there... I'm terrible when it comes to that; When I'm in a bad mood all I do is drink. It's not good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with you entirely Steve. I more often than not go for a beer on my own. Sit there. Enjoy. Watch the world go by. Go where you really want to go, at your own pace, rather than tag along with others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I go to the pub alone I tend to drink more, as I'm looking for something to do. That said I agree that I too have found friends just by striking up or getting involved in pub conversation.

    ReplyDelete